View Single Post
      09-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

The R8 and AMG GT are niche cars, that's right. But they sell a lot. There's money there too, otherwise, why would they bother building it.."brand recognition", that those halo products create, also brings customers.
I dont know if the r8 and amg gt sell a lot or are directly profiteable, but they sure serve as an anchor point for style/design and brand image.
You can see that especially with mercedes where merc. SLR style front design elements were incorporated in the then models (especially slk/sl), and following the same for the SLS and now for the AMG GT.
So designchange in especially grilles, bumpers etc are set by the design of those cars. And consumers like design elements of supercars in their own cars I imagine

But bmw never really entered that market (maybe except for the m1 but that was born out of homologation, not out of design/marketing) and yet the m3 class usually outsells their competitors globally. (I dont know if this is still the case anno 2017 though)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0