View Single Post
      03-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
markridoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwmma View Post
Great! let hear it. The only thing is will it last.
On the plus side, it looks great - lovely big screen that is clearly designed for the X1 and slots perfectly into the cubby hole and looks like it's factory fitted. The home screen and menu are clones of the iDrive interface and controllable via the iDrive copy controller that slots in by the handbrake. It comes with iGo navigation on an SD card which, so far, has been fine - quick to boot, find satellites etc and easy to use on the big screen. Some may find it a bit dated (doesn't have lane assist photo imagery etc) but I'm pretty happy with it and the routes appear to be better than on my Garmin. It came with 2012 maps, which can be updated on the SD card and I downloaded a file for UK speed cameras - all working ok. I got a reverse camera (optional) which is great, really clear picture even at night and switches on/off automatically when I put the car into reverse. Can-Bus works ok too.

On the negative side (and I had been advised of this beforehand - it's not what I wanted the unit for but could make a difference if you do), the audio quality is in no way comparable with the head unit. I don't use it as a media player or for bluetooth (car already has USB and bluetooth which are much better quality). Also, I rarely have any volume on the navigation TTS direction messages - the GPS audio comes through a separate attached speaker, not through the car's stereo. Doesn't bother me (as I very rarely use it) though it may be a deal breaker if that's important to you. Unit is touch screen (not controllable via the iDrive style knob and button device) outside the main menu.

Hope that helps... I'll stick up some pics when I've taken some.
Appreciate 0