07-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel4865
My issue isn't so much with the idea of FWD, but the fact it is branded as an X model. The X in a model designation has always indicated "XDrive" All Wheel Drive, so why even bother with the X designation? At this point they may as well just call it the "1 Series Touring" or something that isn't an X model...
Or BMW could offer a rugged version of the 3-series wagon that offers adjustable height or standard raised suspension. The X1 offers a minimal clearance benefit over the 3 series touring and it's slightly cheaper because it is a "1-series" on stilts. But if the X1 is based off the 3-series, then there's no reason it should exist as the X3 is also based off the 3-series. I tried to like the X1, but all it does is convince people they're buying a piece of the BMW pedigree. I'm hardly saying that my X3 is any sort of premiership vehicle, but it's less aspirational because there's a whole market for a car like it. The X1 is too small to be considered an SUV, and with the higher center of gravity, its low curb weight lacks the substantial, protective mass that SUVs have.

I wish each market was defined by regulation. Every car in its class would have to have the exact same wheelbase, with only the engine offerings, equipment, design, technology, and engineering to set each apart from its competitors.

As a result, market and car class lines would be more defined and we wouldn't stand for the silly excuses carmakers have to justify their niche-filler vehicles.
Appreciate 0