06-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #30
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Alan, the new G3X is looking really good to me. At a list price of $999, I'd need to plan on some serious usage to take the plunge, but the street price will probably quickly move toward $850. They're claiming 600mm optical equivalent focal length. I'd like to see if I could hand hold it.

How is shutter latency with the G1X? That's a problem that I couldn't live with, but maybe they've solved it by now.

Dave
Until you posted this Dave, I had honestly never heard of the G3X, so I've just been doing some reading.
Over here the price, to pre-order, is £799 and I suspect, like you that the street price will move down from there. How much it moves is, I suppose dependent on it's popularity.
The spec is certainly impressive, with a 1" 20.2mp sensor and Digic 6 processor. Up to 5.9fps (for jpegs) but dropping to 1fps for RAW.
The lens - wow - 25x optical zoom, image stabilised, equivalent 24-600mm !

No viewfinder, but optional electronic one available, but can't see a price for that.
I can see why you, as a wildlife photographer, would be interested in the long zoom. Like you, I would want to handle it before putting my hand in my pocket !

Shutter latency on the G1X, probably about 0.5 sec ! But as my type of travel photography can cope with that, I personally don't have a problem with it. Your hummingbirds might ! !

It will be interesting to see what the 'experts' write about the G3X.

Last edited by allachie9; 06-19-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0