View Single Post
      01-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
balljack
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 | X1 35i | Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin/14/E84 View Post
I did get the letter dated March 2016 for my X1 airbag recall, since then until recently I have been calling the local BMW dealer to scheduled an appointment for the airbag replacement, the response has been no airbag available, I should mention on above letter said that I was going to be notify again by letter 'to perform the recall to my vehicle'.

I got upset about the whole thing of calling and waiting, so I went straight to the source BMWUSA and I called Customer Relations and services 800.525.7417, they confirm the X1 VIN # and I was told to call a dealer or any authorize shop to make an appointment for the replacement of the airbag...I'm scheduled for next month (Feb), the bottom line is to call the 800# to have a confirmed customer information and service, I think it is ridiculous to wait close to two years for something so critical to our lives and hopping not to get in a car accident and to be mauled by a safety device.
I have a similar experience. I got the recall notice letter in April 2016. After 1 year of waiting, I called BMW NA to get the real story because my local service center kept telling me that the part was not available. Speaking to BMW NA got me more informed about my particular case. They told me that my car should have the airbag available by October 2017. After that, I just set a reminder on my phone to call my service center in October and true enough, they said they have access to the part and can order and scheduled an installation right away.

It's true though that it gets unnerving when you realize you've been driving with a fairly dangerous airbag during that waiting period.
Appreciate 0