United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The improved IS is the best reason to go with the 24-70mm; otherwise, it'll be hard to tell them apart in IQ. (Believe me, when the Series II 24-105mm comes out, I'll be all over it, mostly for the expected improved IS).

What's missing is a 70-200mm f/4L IS. To me, a 70-200mm is essential to a "complete" kit. Buy used, if you must. If you feel a need to salt with primes, do it after the kit is "complete."

The 50mm is not really an ideal focal length for portraits on a full-frame body. You'll want something longer, like in the 80-105mm range. Really. 70mm will also be superior. Also, the low-light performance of the 5D3 almost negates the advantage of the larger aperture, particularly if the 50mm doesn't have IS. (I don't know off hand). IS is really huge for night, street shooting. I use my 70-200mm for most portraits.

That Lexar card is great. I use those.

My kit is built around the 24-105mm and 70-200mm zooms. I've got the excellent EF 14mm f/2.8L II, thanks Alex, for the ultra-wide end and the 500mm for the super tele lens (most people have no need for a super-tele. If you stay serious, then I think that ultra-wide zooms or prime comes next after the 70-200mm. However, the ultra-wide and ultra-long don't make sense for everyone. You have to know how to use them and have a reason to spend all that money.

You can't go too far wrong with anything that you're considering. We're into nit picking territory.

Dave
Yea I guess the nitpicking is what I was asking for. I'm sure it's hard to go wrong with L series lenses just curious if I was maximizing my return for the money I'd be spending. Down the line id love an ultra wide I was looking at the 16-35 2.8 and the 17-40 for the future. No the 50 doesn't have IS I figured it would have some usefulness plus used on Adorama is $125 so figured it would be worth trying sample pics I'd seen seemed to have a decently soft background. Do you bother using the SD card also? I know it's only as fast as the slowest card but doesn't seem super necessary if you have backup drives. Other than BH and Adorama are there any other good online places to shop without the risk of getting screwed with grey market stuff?
Appreciate 0