12-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #32
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Other vendors typically tie directly into select signals at sensor locations throughout the engine compartment. Dinan on the other hand connects directly into the DME, not simply just the sensors. This way we have access to all the signals coming and going from the ECU, not just the boost or other select sensors.
But if the encryption isn't cracked, isn't it true that all you can do is manipulate sensor data before entry into the ECU, which is exactly what all other piggybacks do? Connecting "directly to the ecu" doesn't accomplish much if you can't read/write/modify anything from it.

Quote:
While you can accomplish more power via fewer sensors you are relying on the factory DME to auto-correct the other mismatches it sees. This can lead to drivability issues, delayed throttle responses, or a host of other issues. By interfacing into more data we are not reliant on the factory ECU auto-correcting these values and thus the side effects are avoided.
So is the Dinantronics a complete engine management system in the vein of a Motec unit? Because if not, you are manipulating sensor data pre-ecu and relying on it to react a certain way to get the parameters you want - exactly what other piggybacks do. This is just the way that ECUs are designed - as far as timing goes, for example, unless you have figured out how to raise the maximum degrees of timing via piggyback (which would be amazing), all piggybacks will max out at the same cap. It's just a matter of presenting the ecu with ideal conditions and it will add timing. Raise IATs or lose octane, and the ECU will pull timing. Are you saying that with the Dinantronics unit, this does not occur?

Quote:
Everything we interface with is done so no faults or codes are thrown whether those lead to a CEL or a hidden code doesn't matter. Our device just doesn't create them because we are adjusting data at every level and not relying on the factory ECU to have to auto-correct anything. The factory ECU simply sees everything as working as intended while the DINANTRONICS seamlessly interfaces with the factory components, and ultimately leaving the DME to not have to spend calculations 'fixing' problems.
This really isn't fair to say. I have plenty of logs showing that my ECU only sees stock boost levels, even when running in excess of 21PSI. Also, other piggyback tunes don't throw many (or any at all) codes when kept at the same power level as the Dinantronics device. It is only when adjusted for higher boost level than Dinan do plausibility codes begin to be thrown (throttle angle, airflow, etc). Further, the ECU sees things as working as intended with other units too. Since Dinantronics is admittedly unable to directly read/write the ECU, you are relying on the ECU's pre-written algorithms to auto-correct errors.

Quote:
Correct. The F series DME's have not been cracked so we cannot access the data tables directly but by manipulating more signals at the base level we can alter more parameters.

As stated before we do not have access directly to the tables since the ECU has not been cracked. However, we can essentially do the same thing by interfacing with more signals and pointing the factory DME into the direction we want it to go.
I am not trying to be an asshole here, but I don't understand how this possible with a closed loop fueling system.

You have stated that you cannot edit fueling maps and that you do not rely on the ECU to autocorrect for various sensor input. To the best of my knowledge that is incompatible with modifying lambda target in a closed loop fueling system. Regardless of any sensor data you manipulate, in a closed loop system the ECU will always autocorrect back to lamda.

If you managed to pull this off somehow, that is really cool.

Quote:
If you or anyone has any specific technical questions I would encourage you to reach out and call us, as the sales department is much better equipped to answer the technical questions than I, the random internet/online marketing guy.
I think it would be helpful if the sales department could answer questions like these for future potential buyers to see on the forums. It would save them a lot of time answering the same questions and provide a wealth of info to potential customers.

I am not an expert here and could be totally wrong. I think it would be tremendously helpful for Dinan to show some graphs or logs or other data that illustrate the level of sophistication of their engineering. It is one thing to say "we interface with more sensors, trust us" and it is quite another to say, "We are more sophisticated than other piggybacks because connect to three additional sensors (xxx, xxx, and xxx) and have the capability to modify target lambda via spoofing o2 data. Attached is a log where you can see we have changed lambda to 13.2 for demonstration purposes."

Last edited by paradoxical3; 12-25-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0