View Single Post
      09-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #166
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the kind words. I have been having handling issues with the car over the last several events and finally tracked it down - my front control arm bushings are destroyed. I ordered new urethane track bushings from Strongflex over a week ago, and if they ever decide to ship them they will be installed on Thursday. These stock bushings are total pieces of junk and I recommend they be the first thing you change if you drive your car hard.

I also installed the M3 strut tower brace. I went with the 335i Xdrive kit assembled by HPA Autosport, and it fits with slight modification. The X1 has different part numbers than the 335i for the strut tower brace, and it mostly has to do with the angle. The M3 strut tower brace attaches crooked and with the right side angled too low on the X1 - you need to shim the V brace from the M3 with washers or a piece of metal to correct the angle. You will need to shim both sides to add clearance to remove the engine cover in the future.

Finally, I figured out some significant coding changes that will increase performance on track.

E84_FLR - Engine power Reduction - nicht_aktiv (this prevents the ECU from pulling power on the track because it is stupid and thinks your brakes are overheating)

E84_AX_REF_Diff_Lock - nicht_aktiv (this disables the stupid e-diff since I have a mechanical LSD)

E84_FDB (Dynamic Performance Control) - I will disable this next track day to see how I like it

I also will experiment with coding these out - from my research, these values (which are all aktiv in the X1) will reduce braking performance and consistency on track.

E84_HBA - Hydraulic Brake Assist
E84_EVB - Brake Standby (reduce brake delay by lightly applying the brakes for when they might be required)
E84_HPS - Brake Fading Compensation (maintains pedal feel by gradually increasing braking pressure)
E84_Maximum Brake Support

On Sept. 19, 20, and 21st I will be at Mid Ohio with PCA for an advanced-only HPDE. I anticipate being one of the slower cars in my run group (which includes cup cars, GTRs, 991 GT3s, etc) which should be a lot of fun. I will try these changes and report back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0