View Single Post
      07-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #164
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I am never above having an instructor in the car, especially the first time at a new track, but PCA is really overly conservative.
I know it feels crazy, but as a long time PCA member, I can tell you it is necessary.

The PCA is usually very welcoming to anyone on open track event days and that can bring out some nut jobs.

With the values of even pedestrian Porsche's sky rocketing, it becomes even more important to strongly control and evaluate new participants.

I can relate one incident that happened here at Pacific Raceways (Seattle International Raceway at the time) about 20 years ago. I was running my 72 914-6 (created not original) with a 3.4 stroker, Webers, etc etc. About 340 hp and just under 1900 lbs. I am a mid level driver out for a good time. Waving by faster guys, you know...

Along comes a supercharged Corvette. Running hard, I wave him by, he went getting all squirrely but not terrible.

Well, after that it became a major priority for him to get by a full done 930. That thing was amazing. 730hp Promotive on 105, AP racing brakes with 14" rotors and on and on. Just done and first time on the track.

Well, after the pass and running down the straight I caught them both in the chicane and was watching. Finally the Corvette driver tried to do a no wave pass right after the apex on 8 and proceeded to punt the 930 right into the trailing edge of the wall.

Craziest thing I ever saw on the track. The 930 hit the wall at about 75mph accelerating hard out of the hairpin for the slight turn at 9 onto the straight. Corvette just tried to cut in and hit the outside corner of the 930. The Corvette had some damage but didn't spin out, but the 930 was wiped. 30k worth of engine destroyed.

So, long story short, that is why the PCA is super careful of newcomers they don't know.

I wish I had a video of it...
Appreciate 0