View Single Post
      06-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #161
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Absolutely brutal on the lack of points in that rain session. If I was your instructor, I'd have you all over their mirrors/bumpers. Their instructors should have been paying more attention as well.

If you ever run with RTR or Schattenbaum at the Glen (or come down to NJMP or Summit), let me, know...love to come out and join you.

Good idea taking an instructor your first time at Watkins. As you know, it's an awesome, fast place. But it can catch you out...and it's good to have a voice of reason sitting next to you when you're getting to know your way around. You get around well in most of the videos I've seen.

With a car as "easy" to drive as a pushy X1, good decision making and a constant eye in your mirrors, you should have no trouble running in white (or whatever the first solo group is)...and I bet you have the pace for black...but more mileage is good before venturing up. Is the PCA chapter you run with preventing you some signing up before getting written permission?
That is pretty much exactly the case. I am never above having an instructor in the car, especially the first time at a new track, but PCA is really overly conservative. Before the event, they had placed me in Green (beginner) so I emailed them with my resume (about 20 events over the last two years). They declined to move me up to even Blue until a previous instructor emailed them on my behalf. Even then, they only put me in Blue. I had just come off of a different PCA weekend where I didn't get a single clean lap and didn't give a point by all weekend, so I was a bit frustrated.

When we actually got to Watkins, it wound up being the same - even with my first time at the track in the Blue group, I was the fastest car by good margin and didn't have to give a point by over the course of all three days. I attribute a lot of this to the X1 being really easy to drive - plus I was familiar with the track layout from iracing. My instructor soloed me after the first day but I was still stuck in blue, and with the issues the car was having plus the rain I only got out for one or two solo runs.

I am used to running with groups like 10/10ths motorsports, where intermediate is extremely fast and has passing freedom even in corners. PCA events are just a bit of adjustment - I figure I need to pay my dues in the lower run groups until they clear me for red/black. Seems I get moved up about one group per event, but that they are really reluctant to jump drivers more than one group even if lap times, awareness, and instructor approval are all there.
Appreciate 0