View Single Post
      09-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Low Coolant Level alert

Yesterday as I got in my X1 after work, I got a "low coolant level" alert. I called Beverly Hills BMW and made an appointment for this morning. They have my X1 now so I'll update later. Mine's an sDrive, 2013 with 11,600 miles.

By the way, a quick search last night for "BMW coolant level warning" brought up a fair number of forum hits, for other models. Apparently it is not infrequent on newer BMWs in the first 10 to 20,000 miles. Some theorize that the coolant level wasn't "settled" in production, or something like that. I saw some older posts where the OP followed up later to say the problems hadn't reoccurred.

When I got in the X1 this morning the warning light was gone, but of course I still took it in. I didn't actually pop the hood and check the coolant, but in the search I read where those who had done so quickly verified that the coolant was indeed dangerously low.

On another forum someone had suggested that using EcoPro uses more coolant, so I will ask the SA about that when I pick it up. I do use EcoPro on the freeway, which in LA means, I use it a lot...
Appreciate 0