06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #43
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
Low file consumption surely should't be the main decision factor when one purchased a BMW. However, EPA to Performance ratio certainly is on most people's mind. I think it's fair to expect the vehicle to perform up to spec within a reasonable tolerance.
But the EPAs estimates are not specs.

They're measured after the fact, and are not numbers that manufacturers need to meet or approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
I think the Prius drivers would also be unhappy if 0-60 takes 18 sec. even they never expect the car to fly.
I know a couple of Prius drivers, and after the first month or so of feeling "best car ever", they're not as ecstatic as they were. They bought a car promising excellent fuel economy, decent acceleration, decent speed, decent cargo space, ok load capacity and ok handling.
And they got that; what they didn't understand, and what one of them still refuses to understand, was that it doesn't deliver all of that at the same time.

EPA classified the X1 as a mid-sized car, not an SUV, and not a sports car. They never tested it for occasional spirited driving, nor with load exceeding one skinny driver; both features you expect from the car, and which it's advertised for. And which you cannot have at the same time as good mileage.
If you think the numbers are off, complain to the EPA. Unless you think BMW cooked the numbers by delivering a "special" X1 version to EPA for testing, I cannot see what beef you would have against BMW or the X1.

tl;dr: If you're disappointed because of the mileage, you should be disappointed with the EPA, not with the car. It delivers.
Appreciate 0