View Single Post
      06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
Forget beating the dead horse and not being allowed to save fuel when you buy BMW.... I for one reason took the X1 instead of waiting for an all electric car is it's ability to save on fuel when desired but still have a decent performing car.

But how? I want to hear from those who do true city driving (not the EPA sub-urban cycle) how they can achieve better then 20 mpg.
I think I qualify to be one of those who do true "city" driving as we live in the same city. Hope my numbers will make you feel "better".

My commute is only about 23 miles return daily and only 7 miles of that are over 60mph. I am in my 30th tank and avg speed is 24.8miles (40km), avg 22.1mpg (10.8L/100) by on board computer. My own calculation shows 20mpg (11.76L/100). That's right, not even getting the City EPA, off by 30% by my calculation, left alone the Hwy EPA. I am trying to change my driving style (coast more) and see if it makes any difference.

Vancouver might claimed to be a world class city but not when it comes to road system comparing to the US. Vancouver's highway speed (2 lane wide is common) isn't that high most of the time due to traffic, and those live in the city tends to just travel within the city to get all things done. All I really wanted was to high the city EPA.

Low file consumption surely should't be the main decision factor when one purchased a BMW. However, EPA to Performance ratio certainly is on most people's mind. I think it's fair to expect the vehicle to perform up to spec within a reasonable tolerance. I think the Prius drivers would also be unhappy if 0-60 takes 18 sec. even they never expect the car to fly.
Appreciate 0