11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegeath View Post
I use Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' on CD as my standard - I took the CD to the dealer and sat in an X1 with the generic audio - and I was satisfied (am not an audiophile). Suggest you try the same thing with a mix of music of your choice.
Yes, a mix of different music is what I recommend.

I use not because of the musical quality, but because of unique properties:

Mike Oldfield, "Blue Saloon" from Tubular Bells II. There is a walking high-pitched treble that bad stereos just kill by not keeping the volume consistent across the treble range. It also bounces between right and left, but the volume should be consistent.

Alan Parsons Project, "The Raven" from Tales...Poe. Very deep bass and square waveforms makes it actually unplayable on many systems. Like pretty much any system that can't go below 60 Hz, i.e. 90% of everything.

Yes, "Endless Dream 1-3" from Talk. Horrible prog-ballad self-glorification, but the dynamics between loud and quiet is extreme. If the quiet parts are played at a comfortably loud level, the loud parts will rattle the speaker membranes or clip on cheaper systems.

Anything with highhats and timpani is good too. Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra", for example. Any stereo can do pop and radio favorites, but not all stereos do more demanding music well.

Last edited by Grovsnus; 11-22-2012 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: (fixed spill chuckerism)
Appreciate 0