View Single Post
      08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #24
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
I obsessed on this one for 2 months. I finally took it in and they replaced the lower steering shaft. BUT, this is nature of the beast. I sat in EVERY car in the showroom and all did it to some degree or another. My brother owns 3 BMWs. His older 3 series does NOT do it but the two newer ones (2007 and 2010) both do it. It's just BMW "design" - call it good, call it bad - it's their design.

And the only thing that came from my repair was a free alignment because they thought it needed it - which is fine after my New Hampshire winter. But I still have the clunk - perhaps less, but it's there.
My car had same issue. Dealer replaced that same shaft with what I *think* is an updated(upgraded?) part. My clunk/knock is gone.
The part number of the lower steering shaft that was installed is NOT the same part # listed on REALOEM.com. My SA said that his parts dept is now stocking this shaft which leads him to believe that this will be an ongoing issue with all vehicles using this particular part.
Appreciate 0