View Single Post
      11-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Just want to add that the tire pressure system was only able to sense a difference of 5-6 psi on a non-RFT for us and needed about 4km to do it. And run flats are far less sensitive to pressure differences. Also, tire pressure system might only detect side to side differences (I'm not sure if that's the case, but it is possible) so it might not notice front to rear differences.

Don't get me wrong, difference in pressure does make a difference in circumference, and for that reason I would stick with what the door jam sticker says. It's entirely plausible that front tires heat up more than the rear, equalizing the issue a bit. Plus other factors might affect the actual circumference of the tire. And finally, the transfer case might be set up for a slightly larger diameter rear wheel - after all, more power goes to the back then the front.
Exactly, we have no idea how the transfer case is set up internally. I've read that xDrive is 60% rear and 40% front, so that makes sense.

I don't see how one can go wrong by sticking to the recommended value. See Garry's reply here: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...run-flat-tires

Last edited by 4llr; 11-06-2016 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0