View Single Post
      06-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #71
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

So, after 3.5 hours spent in the garage installing the gate it's finally done and ready for a quick review.

The installation process was fairly simple. The installation instructions were mostly pictures with some descriptions and really only provided a general sense of what to do, for the details you have you use your imagination. Took me some time to figure out all of the wiring but as a nice surprise all of the plugs are unique and not interchangeable so you really can't incorrectly plug something in.

The hardest part of the installation was running the wire from the battery to the controller - see the second to last photo, the red line is where the wire is run between the metal panels, through the rubber boot, behind the headliner, and behind the interior paneling.

Additionally, in photos 3 and 4 and you can see where I had to drill into the metal - it's where the wire from the supports goes into the metal.

As for the functionality itself, the button on the remote works to open and close, the button by the driver's seat works to open and close, and the button that was installed on the gate (see last photo - on the top) works to open and close as well as to set the height to which the gate opens.

A couple points of note:
1. The anti-pinch feature which stops the gate from closing on top of someone works but it's a little rough (more of a shove as opposed to a gentle push)
2. IMPORTANT: At a certain point (about 10-12 inches from fully closed) the anti-pinch feature stops engaging and the trunk gate slams - strong enough hazard that they included warning stickers and in my opinion for good reason. A little concerned how this would be with little kids.

Opens and closes fairly quickly (see video), but it's really rather loud. A little concerned about the noise bugging our daughter, I guess we shall see. I'll update once we've had it for a while.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0