View Single Post
      06-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Shredjim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x28 X1

Staggered wheels?

I'm looking at getting some 18" wheels for my X1 x28i - and will be selling my original 17" wheels with tires on them (only 2500 miles). Since I live in the NW, and will want to go up to the mountain on occasion during the winter, I need to get all season tires. I like the sound of the new Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires that offer a 50,000 mile warranty. Obviously to get that kind of mileage, the tires will need to be rotated - at least every 5,000 - 10,000 miles. They sound good because they supposedly are not as hard and/or stiff riding as other run flat tires. I find the Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flats to be much stiffer than I am used to, and a 50,000 mile warranty is good for any tire, much a fun flat.

My questions are: 1. Since I need all season tires - should I go with the same size wheels all around? 2. How do you guys rotate your staggered wheels to get decent life out of your tires?, when you can't do the normal front to back rotation? I thought rotating side to side is not good for tire longevity? 3. Do you notice the bigger tire in the back adding a considerable amount of additional traction - or is it more for the look?
Appreciate 0