View Single Post
      08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Checked out the 28i X-Drive today

Did not have time to test drive, as I was on my lunch break, but I figure it rides similar to my e90. Also, test drove an F30 a couple months ago, so the engine and transmission are the same.

Initial impressions: When I pulled onto the lot, it immediately caught my attention. It sits higher than a 3 series, but lower than an X3. A nice medium ground IMO. The styling is far from aggresive, but the lines on the car are very nice. The classic BMW lines make it look somewhat sporty considering it is a relatively plain hatchback. I like the grille, headlights, tailights and exhaust.

Size: It is smaller in real life than the online pictures would suggest. You could mistake this for a hot hatch from many different angles. I know BMW calls it a SAV, or a crossover, but this is far from an SUV! Those looking for more room must opt for the X3.

Interior: Materials feel nice, about on par with the interior materials in my e90. Good fit and finish for a 1 series. I especially enjoyed the wood inlays which had an awesome texture. Overall, far cry from an A4 interior. Without the NAV, the center dashboard cubby is kind of cheesy. Sat in the back seat, I am 5'8" and there was ample room for my knees head and shoulders, although back seat occupants over 6' would not be comfortable on long rides. It felt like there was less room in the front seats compared to my e90 which was dissapointing. And that front passenger side cupholder??? Forget about it! My left leg kept banging into it. I was surprised at the cargo room for such a small vehicle. Decent space with back seats up. Lots of room with backseats down.

Price: Considering a base vehicle can be had for low $30's and a nicely equippied model can be had for well under $40K, I think the pricing is very attractive and will appeal to many. Between the new transmission, engine, reasonable MPG, utility and fun factor of this car, I think it presents an exellent value.

Parting thoughts: I diddnt want to leave the lot! Wish I could have stayed longer to investigate. I'll be back for a test drive. If my wife gets a Highlander or the sort, I will definately be taking a closer look at the X1.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0