07-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
My chipped MT VW TDI drives much more like a racy sports car than the N20 AT X3 I recently test drove. Chipping the TDI turned it from drab eco-driving into a kick-in-the-seat rocket... and I still get 49+ mpg. You can have it all. Diesel does not mean boring.

Now I have to decide if I trust BMW enough to wait for the 62mpg diesel X1 if they really DO bring it over, or just get the present X1, where I have to pick between the N20 I felt was underpowered and boring in the X3 but I get the new 8spd, or take the more fun N55 but be saddled with the older 6spd which further demotes the hwy mpg more than the 6cyl already would.
BMW brought the 335d over to show diesel does not have to be boring; that ship sailed and it was clear that diesel buyers want economy.

The N20 in the X1 doesn't feel underpowered or boring- it feels lively and honestly not 1 second slower than the N55 powered 35i. The weight difference and balance are what make the N20 feel better in this application.

I didn't like the 35i, and that 6 speed is a throwback and feels very dated now. All models understeer when pushed, especially the M sport with its staggered wheels.

Having talked with the individual that made the announcement the diesels are coming- he said that they will be coming and going into multiple models- more specifically the models that sell. Those of us reading between the lines (and expression) saw that as 3 (sedan) and more than likely X1 (cheapest BMW should sell well) with the 4 cylinder and the X3 and future X5 with the six cylinder. MINI if you listen to talk around the water cooler is currently testing the 4 cylinder in the Countryman.