View Single Post
      07-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Added subwoofer to HK audio

I listen to a lot of bass heavy music and usually need to add a subwoofer to my cars. When I got my X1 a few weeks ago, I was not impressed with the system at all--but especially disappointed with the lack of low bass. I had a 10" subwoofer and amp from my previous car so that is what I reused.

Got myself a Technic LC2i harness ($145 shipped) which includes the Audio Control LC2i LOC. The harness is plug-n-play. The benefit of this harness is that you do not have to tap individually into your stock wires. It can easily be removable. Technic sells a cheaper harness with LOC but he says that with the X1, the HK Logic7 system has 40V peak which over the long run will burn out the LOC of the cheaper model. The Audio Control LC2i can handle that.

After removing the panels (two plastic retainers and the torx bolt tie-down on each side), all you have to do is remove the harness to the HK amp and put the Technic LC2i harness in. The Audio Control LC2i is an active LOC so you will need to supply it with remote turn-on line, 12V, ground. I hooked the 12V from the battery with an inline 1A fuse. There is a grounding bolt near the HK amp, so I used that. The remote line is the hard part...

REMOTE Turn-on: not easy. Technic recommends PIN 13 from the iDrive unit, ie. center console. I did not want to get into the front console so I read about a power line for the antenna unit that travels behind the passenger side rear side back seat cushion (to the side of the fold down seat back). Unfortunately, the thin black wire that was mentioned in other threads is NOT the right one on our cars--I could not get a 12V signal with the radio on. Plan B: tapped into the rear cigarette lighter which is a green/yellow wire that passes through the same area.

Unfortunately, this means the subwoofer will only turn on when the engine is on. If anyone knows of a better remote turn on without having to remove the center console, let me know!

POWER: I simply put a spade terminal under the bolt that tightens the main battery clamp. NOT one of the other branched terminals because they may be monitored. There are plenty of nuts around that can serve as ground, so keep the ground line short.

Adding the subwoofer makes the HK system sound much fuller and really fills in the missing bottom end. Recommended.

Last edited by themishmosh; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0