10-06-2015, 04:31 AM   #181
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
We are trying to figure some things out, and if you did read the full thread you can see when this thread started no one had installed the Bilsteins on an X1, so we are learning and discussing the options.

E36s have dozens of suspension options, we are treading in new territory with an X1. And yes, there are suspensions out that do feel brilliant.

...and that's all we are trying to do is learn from each other, as with the X1 suspension options are very limited and only on been on the market for a short time. I put the H&Rs on my car last December, and at the time Bilsteins were not available. The cheapest quality coilovers available are 8 times the price of the H&Rs. Went the H&R route and it improved things, but not as good as it could be, and yes bottoming out is an issue. Now we have Bilsteins available and we are exploring all the right options to see what works, and it looks like it will work. I'm only waiting on the front Bilsteins to come in, and the improvement to an already great little car is tremendous even without those. Total cost of the H&Rs and Bilsteins are still half the cost of the coilovers, so it's still worth it. Plus coilovers at their highest setting are still way too low for a daily driver use IMO. For my objectives, i.e. better handling, ride, and looks for a daily driver wagon that I can have occasional fun with at an Autocross I more than have exceeded my goals, whereas coilovers would not have met that objective.

So we have spent 8 pages talking about the options and their effects...so what? Is there a maximum of pages allowed to discuss suspension options that we don't know about??

Well that's your choice to buy a diesel. BMW has made the X1 a different class of car in Europe than here in the US, even our econo version is Europe's top performing version. We have the option to choose from 3 different US versions, 1 of which is totally different from yours. The xDrive35i is a little performance wagon that is great from the factory, and can be made to perform even better....and definitely better than a R32. Many of us wanted to buy a small performance wagon and we got that in the xDrive35i. Our apologies for you not having that choice in Europe...
I'm glad people are learning that's the whole point

I would expect E36 to have some great suspensions designed they are almost 20 years old.

I guess I'm just confused as why it's so important to have such great handling on a daily car, improving handling is fine of course, but it seems like it's very important on your daily so fair play, but a daily to me is a car that you get around in to keep costs down assuming you have a project car? If not then fine.

You can have as many pages as you like talking about you want, just like I can have my opinion.

Way to go for blowing Americas trumpet in regards to car options .. I chose a diesel because of running costs, fuel consumption and I have a child on the way so I opted for something a bit cheaper to run.

You 2 seem have got the wrong end of the stick like I'm trying to attack but if that's how you want me to come across then fine
Appreciate 0