10-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #83
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblugoose View Post
Hi all. Renewing this thread to see if anyone who did the Dinan tune has run into any long term problems. Does it also increase throttle response or reduce the sensation of turbo lag?
I have had two electronic wastegate actuators replaced in 18 months/12,000 miles of ownership for a very intermittent CEL on cold start. However I highly doubt that had anything to do with the Dinan module. And honestly from the explanation I received after the second one was replaced was that it was more likely that neither one needed replaced they probably just could have been re-calibrated/adjusted. Same fault came back after the second one was installed and after they adjusted it there hasn't been any issues for a couple months now.

Throttle response really hasn't changed much, a Sprint Booster would take care of that. Had one installed on my Dinan stage II e82 135i M-sport and it made a huge difference in throttle response.

Turbo lag is never going to be reduced when you are increasing boost via software. The same sized turbo is trying to make more boost which directly correlates into an increase in turbo lag. The 8 speed does a pretty good job of keeping the motor in the power but I always drive my car in manual mode with the steering wheel paddles. Honestly I rarely use 7th gear and almost never use 8th gear even when driving on the highway. The car does run out of steam above 5k RPM so it's better to shift early than to run it up to redline. The car gets to 110-115 mph pretty well before starting to struggle. The only thing I don't like is the kick down button on the gas pedal. Most times I just want to stay in the same gear and use the torque to accelerate instead of dropping down 2-3 gears when you put it to the floor. Very annoying to me, but I've only driven manuals and this is my wife's car so I'm usually only driving it when we're together or if there's a lot of snow/ice on the road.
Appreciate 0