View Single Post
      12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Jingo56
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

ifbmw-s

I have a 2011 bmw 3 series, and recently installed the ifbmw-s.

I purchased the speakers online. I don't consider myself a handyman, but decided to save some cash by installing the speakers myself. I completed the task and replaced the door panels in a little over 2 hours. Prior to this, my experience was limited to setting up a rudimentary home theater.

Focal created a video that makes the installation look too easy. For those interested in performing their own installation, I suggest watching some of the videos created by Bavsound, readily available on Youtube. Bavsound does a better job of reassuring you that this is not brain surgery. More importantly, you will learn that the door panels are not identical, and that there is an extra screw on the passenger side.

Unless you have hands made of iron, I would not use the torx tool that comes with the speakers. I used a screwdriver with a torx head to loosen the screws on the door panel. After the door panel came loose and I disconnected the speaker wire, I realized that there was plenty of room to work without having to disconnect the wiring to the door locks, window, and light. To free up my hands, I just rested the panel on a chair, and replaced the front speaker in a matter of minutes.

Replacing the tweeters was a little bit trickier. Focal suggests removing the old tweeter from the plastic casing, and re-using the casing for the new tweeter. Their video does not show how this is done, and from watching the video, I don't think they followed their own suggestion. I simply inserted the new tweeter directly into the grill, and it seems to stay in place.

I noticed a definite improvement in sound clarity. Bass is much more authoritative, and not just a dull background sound. My 12 year old daughter thinks there's more surround sound.

Now that I've done it, I can say that removing the door panel is relatively easy. Brute force is not required.
Appreciate 0