View Single Post
      01-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I pulled this from WikiPedia
Quote:
Instead of a permanent torque split (which the earlier systems exhibit), xDrive provides variable torque split between the front and rear axles through the use of a multi-plate wet clutch located in the gearbox on the output to the front drive shaft. This setup allows xDrive to modulate the torque split between the front and the rear axles, which is normally split at 40:60 ratio. If wheel slip is detected by the ABS/DSC system, xDrive can react within a tenth of a second to redistribute up to 100% of the engine power to the front or rear axle.[1] The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam shaped actuator disc.

xDrive is connected to the ABS and DSC systems. In the case that wheelspin or directional instability still occurs while xDrive is or has been modulating the torque split, DSC will brake independent wheels to regain traction and improve directional stability without driver intervention.

The front and rear differentials in xDrive vehicles are an open differential design, thus relying on brake application by the DSC system to transfer power from the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction.
I believe it is safe to use a donut spare for emergency use since the system uses open differentials and DSC braking to modulate individual wheels.