View Single Post
      12-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
cmg4511
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 23d, 525d

New X1 23d- day 1 impressions

Recently moved to Europe where I have switched from a X5 30d and a 135i vert back home to a X1 23d and 525d. Took delivery of the X1 23d today. Ended up taking a BMW demo car because the waiting list is around 4 months and I needed a 4wd fast as there has been a heap of snow over here and I am spending the next couple of weeks in the mountains on holidays.

It includes just about all the options. First impressions after day 1 are:

Engine - not a strong as I expected it to be. Step off and mid-range feels lazier that my X5. But it easily ran up to 180Kph on the way home with no problems. Very stable. Tracks nicely. However, as many others have reported, motor is quite coarse. Much more so than my X5 (admittedly a six cyl), but crucially, 10 times more so than a 2.0 Tdi Q5 I recently drove. Very disappointing to say the least. Will probably drive me nuts during the next 3 years of ownership.

Servotronic steering - feels very weird is certain situations. On cobblestone streets with varying camber, it cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. You get what feels like torque steer as the steering loads chops and changes. Also at the crucial 120-130 kph cruise you get a distinct vibration thru the steering wheel which I again put down to Servotronic. Above and below this speed it is ok. Answer, drive faster.

Satnav Professional - highly inaccurate. Always at least 500 metres off target. Some directions coming when you are almost past the corner or turnoff. So much so that I ended up testing TomTom on my iPad against it. TomTom was much more accurate.

Ride - rides a whole lot better than the X5 or the 135i. Was expecting worse given some of the reports, especially riding on 18's with sport suspension but was pleasantly surprised. It is firm, but compliant. A nice blend.

Adaptive headlights - very cool and very effective. Highly recommended.

Interior - while I can see areas where the materials are not quite up to scratch, I quite like it. Not up to X5 standards but pretty good nonetheless.

Will take some pictures in the snow and post in the next few days.
Appreciate 0