View Single Post
      04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #55
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Today I have installed my Non RFT on my 18" 355 M style 8J non-staggered setting. My RFT tires still have over 60% but I just can't stand them anymore. Plus this Apple attitude, choose from all 4 models that we offer drives me nuts and I don't like it. There is no RFT tire out there that really shines. Plus they are special order, so no help in there neither. With money from two RFT I can buy a very good set of Non RFT and another one 2-3 years later, and I am running newer and better tires.

My final choice was Continental Extrem Contact DWS.(225/45/18)

After reading all the reviews, opinions, etc. I have reached the conclusion that all tirerack reviewers that put over 25 millions of miles on these tires can not be wrong. Doesn't matter how biased some of them can be, still, this tire came out very strong in all chapters. Only P Zero nero have a similar number of miles and reviews and the vote is unanimous, the Continentals are better. So I was thinking, what the heck, I know how MXM4 are in the snow, I am gona try these ones to see how they are.
The tuner where I bought them from said that they are very good tires, actually, the guy that I dealt with, bought them for his own car; that tells me that they can't be that bad.

I never had Continental tires, but I will se how they are.

What I can say after 100 km today with these tires:

- The 18'' M 8J wheels with Non RFT tires rides arround 30% better than 17'' 7.5J wheels with the RFT.
- the potholes do not have that scary sound anymore, nor that "mechanical echo"
- I can drive without chewing gum
- it seems that the car leans a litle bit more in the sides if I am doing the "moose test". In a way is normal, these tires don't have the hard reinforsements in their walls. Maybe is a perception that with the RFT the car was more like "on the track" in straight line but more difficult to make the turns. With the Non RFT the turns are much better, but in straight line the car seems different but not in a negative way. I guess I am not used with them yet, plus the tires are brand new.
- the car is quieter, now I can hear the engine quite clear
- the ride is softer on good road, it is actually much nicer and more cushy.
- also, as I said in the past, I am not really buying that "suspension tuned for RFT tires" crap; it seems that I was right. The car runs just fine.

I think is a perception, but when I am looking at the car from the rear, the old RFT on 7.5J seem to have a wider look than these tires on 8J.

In the negative way, I don't really like the sidewalls, they are quite bald. I am used with the Michelins that have these multiple lines which give the tire a better look from lateral.

In the winter I will update this thread to let you know how they will handle the canadian snow.

Hope it helps.

I would like to thank to all of you for your input in this matter.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-18-2013 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0