04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Many people here haven't put more than 2k-5k miles on their car and are on their first set of tires, many of which are all season or live in warm climates. Wait until next fall and you'll see an increase in tire questions.

Personally, I am getting the performance wheels w/summer run flats and as soon as they're dead (and hopefully they'll be dead this summer) I'm going non RFT. I'm also getting a second dedicated set of winter wheels and tires for my car. Putting all season tires on a performance car ruins the point of even buying one. It's unsafe to drive a car hard with the wrong tires and IMO that means either summer performance or winter tires. If you live in Seattle or rainy region it might mean the best rain tires. As much as all season tires try, they're not the best at both worlds. You can get a decent set of wheels and the right tires for under $1500 and I believe that is a good investment.
I got your point.
Mine is a 2012, I think one of the first ten that arrived in Canada.
I have 22.000km on board right now. The tires are still ok, not to mention one is brand new...

I do have 17" wheels, the ones that came with the car.
My new wheels are the M ones that I mentioned in my first post (18" non-staggered). Those are the ones that I am gona use.
So, I do have dedicated wheels if I want. I just don't think I want.

My Accord Coupe, I run it sometimes with over 200km/h and it has the Michelin MXM4 so I don't think that I do compromise much on the performance by choosing something similar.
And I don't run tires until they worn out. At 50% I am buying a new set.

Yap, dedicated tires are good but 200km/h is fine for me. And many times I see good cars, nice equiped in the hands of an unexperienced driver.

Yeah, I was playing with the ideea of keeping them for winter etc., but after my experience with the dealerships...
Appreciate 0