View Single Post
      07-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

First Mini Road Trip

So, we finally found a small window to make a day-trip out to the Oregon coast and got the first real test of both highway fuel efficiency and performance in a ton of twisties. We were very pleased with both.

Averaged 31.7mpg over 186 miles with an average speed of 47.5mph. This was very good considering the conditions: spirited driving when it was possible, also decent chunks of congestion, some rain, and lots of twisties, meaning lots more deceleration and acceleration than you'd have if you were driving on the freeway. And three people plus some gear in the car. Very pleased with the MPG. No Eco-Pro (never!) and not driving for MPG but for pleasure.

Also, discovered a good stretch of road for some seriously fun driving: https://goo.gl/maps/Zk7xm , a section of Oregon State Highway 22 after it splits with OR-18 and before it meets up with Hwy 101. It gets you through the coastal mountain range through the Siuslaw National Forest and is just beautiful with roadside creeks and dense forest on all sides. The road is in excellent shape, no potholes or rough sections, tons of turns in both directions at a variety of angles, and for a good part of it we weren't hindered by traffic. Highly recommended if you are ever out this way. The car handled it very well, always felt fully planted and was practically begging for me to push it more, but sadly it was unable to convince the wife that I should do so.

3+ months in and we're absolutely loving this car. Perfectly suited for our needs and has delivered on every promise so far.
Attached Images

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i

Last edited by scottomfg; 07-26-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0