View Single Post
      07-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Not sure what the problem being discussed is here. Is it that the car is not stable at high speeds or that the car is not stable at high speeds with the wind blowing?

Given that the X1 is taller than a car and much lighter than most SUVs, for sure it will get blown around more during windy conditions. I for sure have not encountered problems at high speed when it is not windy.
It appears to be totally a function of how much air gets under car.

Wind in front would allow it to happen at lower speeds by amount of front wind speed.

When I drove 120 in Germany, one time there was strong side wind gusts which changed a lane for me.

At those speeds I was watching for it because it was already rolling from side to side.

It's what I'd expect from a tall body with narrow wheel track.

Like I said, widen your track with 12mm to 15mm spacers and it'll cure most of it to any speed people can use.

I'm not usually a fan of spacers, but they only weigh about 1#, and I'll get rid of up to 5#/wheel next time I buy non runflats.

The reason everyone feels different ride from their cars is that 35i's have more weight on front, and some cars have square setup instead of staggered like mine.
Appreciate 0