View Single Post
      03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Ran my Bike into the Carport today. :(

So I had a very early morning which consisted of waking up and going to pick up a friend to do a 75 mile charity ride on our road bikes. I woke up for 4am, got ready, packed the car, and then backed the car out and put my bike on top. I made it to my friend's place only to find he had contracted the flu within the last 3 hours. Conflicted, I decided to call it off and just head home. I was distracted by the fact that I would not be riding, by the fact that I was up at 4AM for nothing, and the fact that I was ready to get back into bed. As I got home I pulled slowly into my driveway and up into the carport as I normally do. Except I forgot one thing... my bike!

It reminded me. After fairly loud rub along with a couple scraping noises and I realized what I had done. I got out and looked on top my car and began feeling nausea set in. My bike is full carbon, and has an internal seatpost. I was positive that the frame was toast. My first worry, however, wasnt the bike but my car. I looked at the car, and the oem roof racks had detached in every place except for one leg. It had also pulled itself back along the roof rails and I had some nice long gouges from the metal clamps of the oem roof rails breaking through its rubber protectors and dragging along as the bike held strong to the carport. At the end of the car there was the back food of the cross bars. It had found a nice spot to land right on top of the hatch spoiler. I have three nice sized dents/creases where it hit. The roof was unscathed! I backed up and took everything down, assessed all the rest of the damages, and this is my damage list.

- OEM Cross Bar has about 3-5 parts bent.
I cannot find parts for them, however, so it appears I will have to spend the full price on a new set. Might try contacting BMW first. I also might just get rid of them completely to avoid this from ever happening agian
- Roof rails on both sides have some deep metal gouges in them.
This probably could be buffed down and painted, but chances are I will replace them. Maybe this will give me the opportunity to go with black gloss roof rails (normally found on m-sport) to match my sport package a little better
- Hatch spoiler needs replacing and repainting.
I am pretty nervous about this. Upon close inspection, the hatch and spoiler appear to be one. If that is the case I have to wonder how it can be replaced. Also my car is mineral white metallic, and white cars and notorious for being hard to match. Add metallic on top of that and I am fearing the worst.
- Bike is fine?!

Sorry for the long post. I can get some pics if anyone is interested. I have felt sick all day long from this and am hoping sharing my story and talking to some of you will get some of this guilt off of my chest.

Anyone have a link to 2013 roof rails? How about the hatch parts?
Attached Images

Last edited by conceyted; 03-17-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0