Thread: X1 Gas Mileage
View Single Post
      07-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #101
iphoenix
formerly driving a 2009 red 128i convertible
Canada
Rep
Drives: midnight blue X1 28i 2013

does the car really perform better broken in? ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Yes, mileage will go up. Not only because the car gets broken in, but because the driver gets broken in too. While a car is new (to you), it's tempting to step on it every now and then, without thought of how much that affects your mileage. (Drive aggressively for a mile at 10 mpg and another mile frugally at 50 mpg, and your average isn't 30 - it's 16 mpg.)

Sure, you can have fun with the car too, but be sure you don't measure the mileage in a way that includes the fun time.
My sales rep said that my 128i convertible would have better mileage once the engine has broken in, but by the time my lease was up, it was still doing about 12 liters/100 km (sorry, not good with the whole mpg and imperial system conversion). He sold me on the X1 based on the 4 cylinder engine being more fuel efficient, and I've had the X1 28i for 5 months now, and it's gone from 12.5 liters/100 km brand new to now averaging 11.7 liters/100 km.

I'm sure fuel efficiency gets worse with the sunroof and windows open, but what's the point of having them if not to use them!

Overall, I'm happier with this than the convertible, but bear in mind, the gas tank does hold 10 liters more in gas ... so is there really a savings?

I was really sold on the fuel efficiency of this car, and so far it hasn't really impressed me with THIS aspect of the car considering the advertising is for much lower than what I'm getting .... and when is my engine considered broken in? I have just over just under 6,000 km now?
Appreciate 0