View Single Post
      04-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3D

My new X1 2.3d xdrive REVIEW & PICTURES

Engine QUIET when cruising or normal acceleration, exhaust loud sporty and engine loud under hard acceleration ONLY.
the car is nicely refined, road noise on poor surfaces the only intrusion until motorway speeds then wind noise noticeable, noise from roof bars not noticeable until 100mph (aerodrome).

economy = 28mpg to 60mpg depending on driving style average 35mpg.

overtaking effortless.

handling superb.

ride comfort, very good on 17 inch wheels and non run flat bridgestones.

quality of interior, no rattles or creaks whatsoever, very solid, if you don't like the type of plastic in the centre console get a life!

seats very comfortable (standard seats with leather) just right for a well built 6 footer (1.8m)

leg room in back = depends where you have the drivers seat = range from just adequate for a 6 footer to plenty of room for both rear and front passenger if both 6 foot.

boot space very good just picked up some furniture, size of car for me is ideal compromise.

autobox is seamless, quick and efficient, steering wheel mounted flappy paddles are now left paddle change down and right paddle change up, you can drive along in auto then flick the down paddle ready for overtaking, overtake then leave it and it goes back to auto. there is also a sport mode that changes quicker hangs onto gears longer etc.

power, very good torque from low down but the surprising bit is 4000 - 5250 rev range there is noticeable power and acceleration there, with the flappy paddles it's great fun, with the accompanying loud sporty exhaust note.

off road the car has the same ground clearance as a nissan x-trail and better performance in a bog I tested it on. I also have had a nissan pathfinder and lexus rx350 sel, the X1 is as good off road as either albeit with the limitations of tyres and ground clearance, the X drive system is very able. Ride on a stone track was vastly superior to any of my previous cars including the lexus air suspension.

on snow and ice I was pleased with the grip on the road tyres hill descent worked well on an ice covered hill, without it I could have ended in a ditch!

performance control = brakes the back wheel to avoid understeer = you can feel it working as you approach the limit, the car, suddenly is not the right word, but noticeably turns in when you would expect drift, so much so that you counter with the steering but when you get used to it, it really feels like the car is literally glued to the road and this coming from a 3 series saloon.

ride height is just right for getting in and out.

xenon headlights amazing and essential for safe driving at night on unlit roads.

the car is everything I had hoped it would be, I have had 9 cars in the past 12 years this is the first I will be keeping until the future face lifted X1 comes out then I'll be getting that! for me and my requirement, I have found the perfect car at last!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by largehosier; 04-03-2010 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0