View Single Post
      02-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish66 View Post
I've been able to get in the 28's mileage-wise but only on pure highway parts of a trip - by resetting the mpg display once I get up to cruising speed. Even including the acceleration up the on-ramp into the average mpg calc will keep the average to around 25. Oh, and that's using eco pro.
Yeah - resetting the MPG calculation once you're already up at highway speed is a bogus 'more generous than real life' measurement. Based on the EPA 33-hwy, you should be seeing 35+ by doing that. I too can get 50+ mpg only measuring while coasting downhill. Just don't measure the X1 trying to climb back up that same hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
You really get 55 in the tdi and 20 in the x1? I'm so pissed they didn't bring a diesel for us.
Sadly yes. My TDI is race chipped, but never saw the mpg drop after installing the chip. Best money I ever spent. To be honest, 55mpg takes driving in an eco-pro-like mode, no jack rabbit starts, coasting to offramps on highways, etc. You know, the kind of driving I hate. What I loved about the chipped TDI however, is that even on my most "sport mode" crazy hit-the-turbo-all-day-for-fun acceleration on every start and beating 'superior' sports cars off the line at red lights (loved that) - the worst I ever saw was 48.5 mpg. Not bad for all that REAL LIFE fun!

Now on the X1 - it seems that no matter how I drive - I only get 20.something mpg. I meant to write the other day. I ran an errand in eco-pro mode where I reset all values. Mostly highway on RT2. I made a conscious effort to not step more than 33% into the gas pedal (watched the 'live' mpg needle to stay above 25mpg). It was pathetic slow and dangerous. Huge gaps open since I cannot keep up with traffic from every tiny slow down. Every car cut in front of me. Then a SCHOOL BUS cut in front of me, the gap was so big and my acceleration so poor. Rt2 inbound had no traffic stops. I coasted to every slow down. I turned my engine off manually at the two red lights (ASS will not engage for me recently). After all this eco excellence - I got a piss-poor 23.x mpg in what I'd consider the very best conditions I could be for typical (but real life) rural eco driving. On the way back, outbound Rt2 had some traffic in the rotary where it was not stopped but was 5-10mph slow while making its way around. There on that return leg, I was back to 20.x again while in eco but without the prior leg's coasting-in-neutral tricks! Nuts!

I could take going down from TDI 49 mpg down to X1 EPA 33. But real-life 49 down to real-life 20 is driving me crazy! I should be wanting to drive my new X1, not having "more acceleration and fun and better mpg to boot" in my 12-year-old old VW.

I really have to figure this out. This weekend I'm heading up for another long ski trip drive. I will reset all the numbers and watch the car like a hawk. For fun and my own science, I might try eco on the way up and sport on the way back. Something tells me both are going to be the same bad 20 mpg number. I'll also top off the tank to get the non-computer numbers.
Appreciate 0