View Single Post
      10-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I read up on the n20 engine modification. Only thing I needed to see was it voids the warranty and that's enough to keep me away. It's too bad BMW service can't perform something that appears to be safe and keep the car in warranty, there are a number of other car manufacturers who will install engine upgrades and you keep your warranty. I can understand why BMW might hold extra HP in the N20 for the Z4 or other sportier models or heavier weight cars but it's too bad for 3 series and X1 owners.

Bill, I think you are right, but a part of me still wonders if the hesitation is a software fix to avoid a bigger problem with something going on in the transmission. I at first wondered if it was an engine flaw workaround but since some people have also had problems with the n55 I assume we can rule the engines out. I'll have to see if other manufacturers also are reporting similar problems with that transmission.

Now that fall is here and I'm stuck inside, I'll keep digging just for curiosity and to keep me busy at night.
Appreciate 0