View Single Post
      10-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
liljestig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G08 iX3 M Sport

I've had the N20 (4-cyl) 8-spd X1 for almost 6 months now, going from the previous gen 535. I'd say unless you're a motor enthusiast, the N20 is the obvious choice for now, and for the future.

Around the world we all can see how the public opinion and new laws are causing the car manufacturers to down-size the car engines, use more light-weight materials, etc. This fact will affect resale value, insurance costs, and service/repairs more and more in the future. Also having kids I would rather be able to get a pair of new sneakers for them every once in a while, rather than pay extra for a bigger engine.

Despite the lacking two cylinders, in compare to other same-sized sports utility cars, the N20 X1 is still 20-30% faster and definitely more fun and engaging to drive. (Used to have 2009 CR-V 2.4 5-AT) Still at a very decent fuel consumption level.

The N55 (6-cyl) is like the N20 a twin-scroll turbocharged engine, possible to draw far more costly repairs compared to panoramic sunroof and electric adjusted seats. Also remember the N55 X1 is exclusive US which means 'less install base' when troubleshooting, spare parts, etc.

With leather it will still be leather and look and feel all the better as years go, provided taken care of properly. I use leather cleaner and leather wax every 4 to 6 months and in all my cars the seats have felt like new even after several years of everyday use.

Good luck!