01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
I was under the assumption that most manufacturers were already doing this. I mean this problem has been around for at least 5 years. And with so many CPO vehicles being sold and a sure fire way to defeat the problem, how can BMW ignore this issue and afford to allow it to continue.
I find it disturbing that BMW would choose to "follow" when they've always been a leader...or so most any German Engineer would have one believe.
FWIW, Audiworld has had few if any reports of CBU with their 2.0T. Most reports of CBU have been with the 3.2 V6 and V8 engines.
I'd like to see a BMW engine schematic to see if any kind of intake port injection has been engineered into our cars.
Not trying to further derail this thread, if you want to discuss further, let's start another thread. To be fair, we'd probably get better traffic in the F30 forum, where the engines are shared with the E84.

But to your point, BMW has seldom led in engine technology. They use what's proven and seldom lead the way. Mechanical fuel injection was started in masse by MB, GM largely started the electronic FI movement. DI came from the Japanese as did the combined DI/Port setup, which Audi is just now starting to implement on engines we don't get in the US yet, BMW and MB have mentioned that the next generation of motors will utilize this setup, but all current petrol engines are currently DI only.

Carbon buildup is an issue on any DI only engine, including the 2.0t, both the TSI and TFSI motors. But it's certainly less of an issue than the 4.2L RS4/R8 motor saw. You can clean the intake side of any engine to restore flow, but without fuel movement over the intake valves/ports, this will continue to be an issue.
Appreciate 0