View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Three different MPG displays all show different values?

I have not been driving my new X1 much (in favor of my better mileage TDI old car thus far), so I have not figured out the X1 MPG displays yet. But this has me feeling a bit like a dunce - since its operation is not self obvious to me - but should be. Argh.

We have three displays that give the MPG info - "Onboard Info" vs "Trip Computer" vs the mini odometer display controlled by the stalk.

Last week or so, I chose "Reset All" from the Trip Computer menu for the very first time, but currently each of three displays seem to give me different mpg and average speed numbers?

How?

The manual explains this poorly.

What's the formula here? When is each reset?
  1. Does "Trip Computer" get reset by using different Navigation destinations? After using Nav and reaching the destination, the miles in "trip computer" show "----"? Yet I still get mpg values?
  2. Does "Onboard Info" get reset by every new tank refill?
  3. Searching the web says some BMWs have a setting for "automatic resets", but I have not seen this in our car yet, but maybe it's the default?
  4. If the above is true, where do I keep the forever info such as all my miles since last time I manually hit "Reset All"?

So what I thought was "all my miles driven getting the car new" since I never did a manual reset myself (until last week), might not have been? It might have been reset on every Nav use or every tank refill?

It doesn't help that Onboard Info doesn't include what the mileage count is beside the average speed and MPG numbers. How do I know what it is measuring - and since when?

I'll probably figure this out eventually by trial and error, but can anyone explain it to me or give me hint? It should not be this confusing. Maybe it's just me.
Appreciate 0