View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

I evaluated lots of vehicles before leasing the X1 but I barely considered the RDX so in my situation they weren't direct competitors. I wanted something with better fuel economy then the RDX that was also more compact.

If I was a car reviewer, I would offer lightly equipped 4 cylinder X1's fairly lavish praise based upon a good overall value proposition but on heavily equipped vehicles, it makes sense to start talking a bit more about possible alternatives and whether or not prospective buyers need a car with more space. At least for folks who want to check a lot of the options, there is the ultimate package which offers a little bit of savings.

I think a lot of urban dwellers considering non entry level luxury cars would be very happy with a bare bones X1 with perhaps just iDrive or no options at all. The relatively small footprint for the space inside is a nice selling point in cities where it can be hard to park. And the good fuel economy helps not only save money but trips to the gas station as well.

In all likelihood, the fuel economy is overstated but I still think the sDrive X1 after it settles in will get 32 mpg highway driven at around 72 mph which isn't bad. After having driven the X1 a bit, I think the criticism of auto stop start is a little overblown. Yes, unlike a Prius you clearly hear it and notice the vibration but it isn't that big of a deal and you can time it so the engine is back on when you need to start going again. And you always have the option to turn it off or keep it off.

I think the X1 is superb for how a lot of people actually drive their cars that aren't track or true off-road enthusiasts but do appreciate good handling and fairly quiet ride in a small utilitarian package.

For prospective buyers that don't want any options, the sDrive X1 can be head for a little under 28k via European Delivery. There really isn't a good competitor at that price point especially after you factor in the included maintenance which perhaps is worth about $600.
Appreciate 0