03-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Curious, what's your plan if you do get a flat with a non-RFT?
I am considering getting non-RFT's for my winter rims, but I have a buddy mechanic
that could fetch my summer tire to get me going again in case of a flat.
Although, changing a flat in the winter could totally suck, especially if its cold, and snowing out.
So, I'm not sure what to do yet.
Just my experience, in two comically warmer climates, Texas and Southern California. I had my M Coupe (without RFT's or a spare) for a dozen years and had one catastrophic tire failure that required a tow. I plugged a few slow flats and then had them properly patched before tracking it again, but the one blow out was a poorly mounted, heavily tracked Toyo that I knew was a problem, it had a bubble in the sidewall, but I kept driving it. Stupid.

My point is it's relatively unlikely you'll ever be caught with a sudden flat. With TPMS (my M Coupe didn't have it) you'll be hard pressed to miss a slow flat, and blowouts are extremely uncommon with quality tires. If you carry a plug kit (and know how to use it) you can fix most flats, and even without it, most flats allow you plenty of time to get by a tire shop and have it properly patched from the inside. One other point, even with the RFT's, it worth having a jack and lug wrench around, something BMW leaves out of current cars.
Appreciate 0