View Single Post
      01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #109
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
But apart from useless visuals, the suspension and programming is all that differentiates the sports package from M-sport. It's the only thing that makes M-Sport sportier than Sport, now that even the wheels are the same.

And, truly, most buyers aren't going to like the harder suspension. I've seen posts here about people buying the M-sport and complaining about the suspension being too stiff for comfort. WTF. I blame the dealers for not telling them straight out that M-sport would be a bad idea unless they want to drive it hard and are willing to take discomfort as a trade-off. The Sport line fill a niche for those who want to appear sporty, but don't want to actually drive it hard.

My suggestion: Drop Eco-Pro on the M-Sport. Warnings that you accelerate and brake too hard? Does BMW want to turn the M-Sport drivers into grannies, giving people on the road an impression that M-Sport is for those who are allergic to acceleration and hard braking before turns?
And put on a more effective air filter, like on some other models with the N55. The few extra horses might not make a lot of difference, but it would make it win over the Sport line in a straight quarter-mile. Right now, the Sport has a tiny edge on the straights just due to weighing a few pounds less.
I hear ya. In my head, the Sport Line is not even sporty. It's like someone tossing Recaros or similar into their car. The old sport package got the 'sport' seats, some trim/wheel fluff, but also a re-tuned suspension. I was originally going to get a Sport Line but for 1.9k all I really got was the better bolstered 'sport' seats (a requirement for me) and that's it. The trim/wheel fluff means nothing to me. For 1.1k more one at least gets a stiffer suspension and slightly different SW on top of the 'sport' seats. That seems justifiable to me since it'd cost me that or more just to re-tune the suspension myself + risk having the warranty voided.

For the M Sport Line, BMW advertises 'sports suspension' over the 3 other variants of the X1 but does not define it further (at least in the brochures) to say that the ride is stiffer. For instance, in the marketing material, they say "Specially bolstered front sport seats hold you firmly during spirited driving maneuvers that take advantage of the taut sport suspension." I assume the average person just hears 'sport' and doesn't realize what that entails. This reminds me of, again, the sport package of years past. Sport package usually got you summer perf tires instead of all-seasons but the average person heard 'sport' and didn't read into it more. Come winter/snow, they would say BMW and/or RWD sucks/is horrible. Really..... Like with anything you buy, do your homework and/or ask questions!

ECO PRO can be disabled/turned off, no? Or do you just mean tweak it (e.g raise threshold, etc...) as part of the SW changes the M Sport Line already gets?

Slower? Psh! Nothing that adding a few more ///M badges won't fix!