View Single Post
      08-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #71
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
It is a sad day when people are so proud of proclaiming their conformity.

It is pretty mind boggling that you think any more than 240 horsepower is useless. You know how you can use 400whp? Or 1000whp even? It's pretty simple - press the accelerator pedal down more than 1/8th of the way.

I use all 500 crank horsepower of my x1 every single day. I use it on the highway, I use it on on-ramps. I use it to pass quickly and safely on one-lane roads, and I use it to haul people and equipment camping without the car feeling like it has 10 horsepower. I use it on Pike's Peak at high elevation, and I use it when towing. I also use it on the road course, drag strip, and on road rallies. I use it when a Porsche 911 Carrera S tries to illegally pass me and fails because he is not expecting 450ft/lbs of torque from an X1.

I also indirectly use it when I go to cars and coffee, and when I meet up with various car clubs. People wouldn't look twice at your 240 horsepower X1, but my 500 horsepower X1 with Stoptechs draws a crowd when they hear the engine note as I downshift and pull in- it is unique and different in a way a 28i can never be. I have met many friends and great people in the car world that I would never have met if I had the 28i because frankly, car enthusiasts don't really care about a 4 cylinder engine putting out 240 horsepower in a SAV. But a 500 horsepower hot hatch set up for the track? Yup - people are interested in that.

I also indirectly "use" the extra power when I smile at the torque at 2krpm, when I hear the smooth engine note, and when I am grateful my engine sounds like a buttery smooth inline 6 instead of a diesel weed wacker.

I also get 28mpg on the highway if I do the speed limit (it happens occasionally), which frankly is 1-2mpg at best off from the greatly compromised 4 cylinder engine. Nobody is getting their claimed EPA ratings with it, just look at all of the complaint threads.

Basically, if you don't understand how more than 240 horsepower is usable, you should probably get out more.
I am not saying more than 240 horsepower is useless. And my stock x28 x1 has more than 240 horsepower. And you totally discount torque. The x28 does not need more horsepower. It is faster than 99 percent of the cars on the road. It is faster than my old Infiniti FX45 that had 315 horsepower. Horsepower alone does not mean much into telling you how fast a vehicle will be. I had a motorcycle with less than 100 horsepower that could do 0 to 60 mph in the 2's.

I am glad you met people because you have a 300 horsepower car. How impressive. Mercedes makes a station wagon that gets 577 horsepower stock. You call your 300 horsepower car a performance vehicle??? oh how silly of you. You are just kidding yourself into believing it is a performancce vehicle. A Ford F150 v-8 has more horsepower and torque than your hatchback.

And keep kidding yourself saying you have 500 horsepower. It is rated 300 horsepower.
Appreciate 0