Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
INTERIOR:
Q3 win's except X1 has nicer 3 spoke steering whell.
Either we haven't been looking at the same cars, or we have very different tastes and expectations.

See, I don't like the X1s steering wheel - even the M wheel with perforated leather. It's too big, too far away, too many controls, and has an airbag I don't want and have to disable anyhow. And no mid-position indicator. It isn't truly the link between the wheel angle and driver that I desire, so it's one of the few things I'm likely going to change out. The Audi one is more spartan, and would have suited me better.

The driver's environment, on the other hand, I like better in the X1 - I could be wrong, because I haven't looked inside a Q3, but I guess it isn't much better than the Q5 I have looked at, with an i-drive equivalent too far away and apparently intended for the passenger as much as the driver, and important buttons under the dashboard where you have to lean forward to get at them. Everything in the X1 is (in true BMW style) made with driving in mind, and other concerns coming second. It has more front-to-back room than most cars, and all important controls within reach, even when at speed.

If I were to fault the X1 for the interior, it would be the sliding lid of the console box, which doubles as an elbow rest and thus should not move. I think Saab started that bad design, and lots of manufacturers followed suit.
And the steering wheel, as mentioned above.
But all in all, I prefer the BMW interiors over Audi ones - the former seem more driving oriented, and the latter comfort and style, with more padding and softer angles. As I grow older, my preference might change, but driving is currently what I focus on.

But I think both the X1 and Q5 are great cars, and I'm sure the Q3 is too.
Appreciate 0