09-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
It's not just that though. Ford was touting how the car would be smaller than the previous gen, because it was going to be sold worldwide. Thus, why it was going to be almost automatically smaller. All the purist American muscle car fans were complaining how this would be too European. But as it turns out, this car comes out even bigger. I wonder what changed? Cars this big just don't work in Europe for example. I think it'll still be limited to a very niche market elsewhere in the world.
Give me one direct source from Ford (or from an auto site that directly cites a Ford rep) stating the original goal was a reduction in size and weight. Anything concrete would be nice, too.

I'll save you the time and effort and let you in on the truth: it was all rumor and speculation. Completely baseless and a catalyst for hype. If I'm not mistaken, the rumor started with Edmunds Insideline (now known as "Edmunds What's Hot"). They made a completely bullshit article citing a "person who knows stuff going on inside Ford" and claimed specific goals, like a 1.5 foot reduction in length and 400lbs to be dropped (from the S197's 3500-3600 curb). This was picked up by big hubs like AmericanMuscle, which was then spread along by forum members and whatnot.

I can't even find the original Insideline article; they deleted it. I remember commenting on it back during the S550's unveiling December 5th of last year, calling them on their bullshit. Somehow, this article exists, with similar numbers saying the same stupid shit.

TL;DR - Ford didn't claim this. People just say that Ford did.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...on-a-diet.html
Appreciate 0