View Single Post
      05-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2012 Lotus Evora, x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrdskynyrd803 View Post
Really cool. What model is that garmin? Did you have to buy a special kit for it?
It just came out. Nuvi 2797 LMT. The mount I used is garmin dash mount. I removed the rubber pad that is in the box and mounted the dash mount to the bottom of the hard plastic in the box. The bottom of the dash mount is super strong adhesive tape and the mount comes with an arm that has a ball mount socket and that attaches to the back of the garmin. I added a cigarette lighter socket to that box. There is plenty of room in that box for all the wires. I leave the unit attached all the time as is looks like the factory screen on the new 3 series that looks like it just sits on the dash.

The nice part is unlock the garmin mount and GPS screen detaches you can then put the screen in the glove box. Then you can still close the door on the dash bin and when you look inside the X1 it looks like nothing is there.

I had a new 5" nuvi and I was going to mount the screen inside the box like the factory nav unit but I was going to leave the door on the dash bin box for a custom look.

Then I saw how the new 3 series nav looked and found out garmin just came out with a 7" unit and made it look sort of like that.
Appreciate 0