View Single Post
      04-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #29
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
I have sports seats without lumbar, I feel pretty good in it. But sometimes, during a long journey (>2 hours), I wish I had lumbar so I can change the contour of the back to reduce fatigue.
I have sport seats without lumbar, but knew from the start that I'd be changing that - the simplest way is to take the back cover of the seat off (easy) and slip blue-foam (camping pad material) under the spring wires, contouring layers until the lumbar support is to your liking. Some trial and error, but once done, it fits exactly the way you want it. I did this on the passenger side to my wife's liking, but what I actually did on the driver's side was install the OEM lumbar inflation pad. While you can buy the electric pumps and switches and retrofit the whole thing (there are posts on this) my solution (don't laugh) was to just inflate each of the two bladders in the pad with a rubber bulb from a blood pressure cuff (you can buy the bulbs only) connected to the pad by small plastic tubing. Totally adjustable and costs less than an oil change.

As as aside, if you (like me) find the sport seat bottom bolsters to be a bit too pressing, a solution is to add two layers of blue foam on the very underside of the seat, slipping them under the spring wires there. It raises the seat bottom enough that the bolsters do not feel so high or pressing.
Appreciate 0