View Single Post
      12-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
mostundudelike
Rep
Drives: X1

Maybe right on the thermal issue, as I've seen that theory elsewhere. But I think the regional temperature variation would point to hard evidence. I live in Texas, where it gets hot hot. The iPod stays in the car all the time, and it can easily be in the 110+ range (Fahrenheight) outside in the day and much hotter in the vehicle when I get in a start the iPod. If it was going to fail I would expect it then.

I've also seen thoughts that it's electrical noise due to voltage regulation. Not sure I buy this theory either. The iPod is pretty well electrically isolated from the raw voltage variation when plugged into the USB.

Personally I think it's a firmware bug. I suspect that the X1 gets data corruption on the cable leading to random uncorrectable errors and resulting in an illegal command being issued to the iPod. In these cases a product like an iPod will be designed to freeze to prevent data corruption from being accidentally and silently written to the disk. (I work on servers and we do a similar thing when the hard disk controller get confused.)

It could be a combination of both. Temperature may drive a higher rate of errors, and some specific vehicles may just be more susceptible.

It's annoying, but survivable, especially if you want 180GB of uncompressed music.
Appreciate 0