View Single Post
      09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Problems with iPod freezing requiring hard reset

Having an ongoing problem with my iPod freezing up.

My wife and I both have an 80GB iPod Classic in our cars for at least 7 years and both use them to listen to music exclusively as we rarely listen to radio or satellite.

Very soon after I got the X1, the iPod started freezing up about every 1-2 weeks, something that I had never seen before with my previous car (a 2001 M Roadster with a 3rd party iPod interface). I am using a white Apple USB cable to connect to the USB port in front of the shifter.

When the iPod freezes, the song that is playing stops immediately. When this occurs, I find that the only solution is to perform a hard reset (pressing the middle and Menu together until the Apple logo appears and it reboots). The iPod then also disappears from the External Media list until rebooted.

To determine if the problem was with my iPod and not the car, I swapped the iPod from my wife's car with mine but her's also froze up within 5 days.

I have installed the latest software upgrades available from this site: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

When the iPod is working, I really like it. The sound quality is excellent, I have full access to my playlists, album art shows up on the display and the next/previous track buttons on the steering wheel all work properly. But I'm getting tired of having to do hard resets on the iPod every so often.

Anyone have any suggestions to a more permanent solution?

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0