Thread: Oil Leakage
View Single Post
      04-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #14
rgelinskey
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Vacuum pump seal and oil leak

I also have the same problem on my 2014 X1 with the 2.0L four cylinder engine. Oil drips from what appears to be the valve cover, onto the exhaust manifold, leaving a nice burning smell and white smoke coming from the engine. Around the time this started happening (approx. 100,000 miles) I also noticed a whirring or whistling noise coming from the engine, especially during acceleration. It sounds like it is coming from the area of the vacuum pump. Also, there is oil in the air cleaner vacuum reservoir.

The leakage has increased over time, to the point that I must really address it. After doing some research online I have determined it is most likely the vacuum pump and seal. I was glad to hear your problem, which sounds like mine, involved that vacuum pump seal, because that now affirms my finding. Youtube has some good videos regarding the replacement and it looks fairly easy.

Carparts.com and Amazon have the vacuum pumps for under $100 which is a far cry from the $687 the dealer wants. It might not be of the same quality, but I feel it is worth giving it a try. I too will give an update once I replace it.

Last edited by rgelinskey; 04-27-2022 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0