View Single Post
      05-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #20
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

A buddy who's built (and painted) hot rods for about 30 years has always taken his cars to a self-serve wand wash. He sprays everything down with the "Engine Cleaner" setting, then lets it sit for 10 minutes. Then he cycles to high pressure since to get the harsh soap off, re-soaps it with the wand, lets it sit again for a few minutes, then rinses with the spot-free rinse setting.
He buys these microfibre towels from somewhere in Europe (I've never seen them in Canada or the U.S.; they are huge, about 2 1/2 ft X 5ft.)they're big, very soft & fluffy; I think he has a half dozen or so, and he folds them in half and just lays them on the surface, no rubbing.
3 or 4 times a year he'll do a full clay bar & carnauba wax treatment on the car. The one he's got now (32 Ford) is brilliant black, and it's gorgeous. He claims that a good quality clear coat will stand up to a lot of abuse, but dust will grind it off in no time, hence the "no rubbing" policy except when he's clay-barred it and is waxing.
I think he's onto something; I've followed his technique (minus the quarterly clay bar and wax job...twice a year is the most I'm willing to do) for a few years now, and the car looks great, no swirls and shines like a new penny
Appreciate 0